Greater Cleveland Safe Kids/Safe Communities
January 5, 2016
Safe Kids/Safe Communities Meeting Dates and Locations
- March 1 – Shore Cultural Centre, Euclid
- May 3 – City of Parma Memorial Hall
- July 12 – Parma Heights
- September 13 – Annual Recognition Meeting (Location TBD)
- November 1 – Westlake Recreation Center
16th Annual Holiday Mocktail Party- Thank you to everyone that supported the Greater Cleveland Safe Kids/Safe Communities Annual Holiday Mocktail Party!
- Congrats to all our winners from the Mocktail Mixoff contest! Big winners include:
- Crowd Pleaser & Best Taste – Brooklyn Heights PD
- Best Mock Cocktail – Maple Heights PD/Moreland Hills PD
- Best name and Overall winner – Lake County Crime Prevention Task Force
- Best presentation – Berea PD
- After expenses, we raised $14,502.73! All the money raised goes into directly into programming, not overhead or salary.
Holiday Safe Driving – thanks to Ed Bonchak and Kate McLaughlin of Euclid PD for mixing up mocktails on FOX8’s weekend morning show.
Social Media Success – thank you out social media posters for the safe driving messaging over the holidays!
Our Town and All Around Books – contact Jennifer to order. Books are $28 ($11 goes to the Safe Kids/Safe Communities Coalition)
Super Bowl – contact Jennifer (Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org) to order your materials.
- Materials include coasters, table tents, posters, taxi vouchers, wallet cards and bags.
- Social media copy will be sent via emails.
Safe Communities Campus Initiative – contact Rachel (Rachel.email@example.com) if you are interested in partnering on a new program aimed at college students
Teen Driver ROADeo – contact Jennifer (Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information and to help plan.
- Thanks to a generous grant from State Farm we will be hosting a teen driver ROADeo in June, which is a community event aimed at teen drivers and their parents to increase knowledge and skill. They will learn more about Ohio’s Graduated Driver License, auto insurance requirements, how to change a tire, check fluids and use jumper cables and the dangers of texting and driving.
- Part of the grant includes a purchase of a Simulated Impaired DriviNg Experience (SIDNE).
- We are looking for partners
- Planning committee
- Host location – need large parking lot
- Police departments to cover legal stations
- Auto parts/dealership to cover mechanical stations
- Driver education to cover parallel parking
- Wireless provider to cover texting and driving
- Fire department to cover flooding and Jaws of Life
- Day of event volunteers
2016 Car Seat Fitting Stations – contact Heidi (Heidi.email@example.com) to get a list
Car Seat Distribution Classes – contact Heidi (Heidi.firstname.lastname@example.org) to get fliers to learn more about Rainbow’s low income distribution programs on the east and west side
Child Passenger Safety Refresher – contact Tom (Thomas.email@example.com) with immediate questions
Winter Sports Safety – contact Mandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) to order materials
- Materials include ski/snowboarding safety handouts, colorable stickers, ski/snowboarding safety posters, and sledding safety handouts.
Home Safety – contact Heidi (Heidi.email@example.com) to order materials and to sign up for a talk
- Materials include laundry pod information sheet, home safety checklist and medication safety checklist.
- We need parents/grandparent or preschool/daycare locations to go for talks. We can incorporate other safety messages in the talk.
Burn Awareness Week – contact Mandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get materials
- Materials for Burn Awareness Week (Feb 1-7) include sample press releases, social media posts, handouts and a Learn Not to Burn Curriculum.
- We will be pitching the media – so please let Mandy know if you are interested in helping.
Fire Safety – contact Mandy (email@example.com) for more information
- We are looking to apply for a fire safety grant to host free fire safety shows at schools. Please let Mandy know if you have any information about grants.
- Play Safe, Be Safe is a preschool fire safety program. Safe Kids can host a train the trainer session for anyone interested. Please contact Mandy if you would like more information.
Safety Calendars – contact Mandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) to order
- Each meeting, we will be offering CDs with safety information on upcoming topics for the two months until the next meeting.
- The content of the CD is a calendar of the safety observations, social media posts, handouts, sample press releases, etc.
- This month’s CD includes home safety, winter sports safety, Burn Awareness Week, Super Bowl and childproofing.
Safe Sitter – contact Mandy (email@example.com) if you are interested in setting up a class
UH Rainbow Safety Squad – contact Carli (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information
- Assemblies available include seat belt safety, exercise, sports safety, bike/pedestrian safety, staying healthy with germs and swim safety. Free shows available.
- They are looking for a school to host the “Get Up and Move” assembly for the Ride the Rainbow – Do What Moves You. The committee will chose a school to go to for free.
Activity Reports – the best way to let us know what you are doing is the fill out activity reports! You can fax it 216.983.1180, email it email@example.com or go to our website at www.injurypreventioncenter.com/safe-kids/activity-reports
Social Media – please continue to send your social media posts to Mandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jennifer (Jennifer.email@example.com)
Thank you to the Berea Police Department for arranging the meeting and lunch!
Hope to see you all the March 1 meeting in Euclid!