Thanks to everyone who attended the meeting. Hopefully we were able to catch you up on what Safe Kids has been doing these past 2 months and encourage you to become involved in upcoming programming!
A great big thanks goes out to Mark Kwiatkowski and the Bedford Heights Police Department for hosting our July meeting and providing lunch. Thank you!!
I. Recent Campaigns
1. Use It or Lose It – High School Students from all over Cuyahoga County successfully participated in the 2009 Use It or Lose It High School Seat Belt Challenge.
a. The top awards went to Brecksville/Broadview Heights High School for the most students buckled and Bedford High School for having the greatest seatbelt increase among students. Other category winners included first place poster contest winner, Mayfield High School, first place song contest, Bedford High School, and first place PSA was awarded to Bedford High School.
A big thanks to everyone for their participation and effort throughout this project! Use It or Lose It 2009 was a great success and we look forward to your continued participation next year!
2. Pause to Click - The annual Pause to Click contest finale took place at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on June 6th. Over 150 people attended the event to view first hand the high energy and creative performances. Pictures and video can be viewed at www.pausetoclick.com or www.youtube.com/user/pausetoclick
Thank you to everyone who helped to market this year’s program and spread the important seat belt message to our “tweens”. We hope to continually build upon the success each year and look forward to your continued support!
3. Click It or Ticket- Our Coalition met the challenge! Cuyahoga County’s observed seatbelt use rate has increased from 70% to 78% because of the efforts of our coalition members. Thank you!
a. 60,000 purchased spots were paid for the 2 week period to advertise the program
i. Clear Channel Outdoor added an additional 6,434 spots as their Pro Bono contribution to the program
b. Zeppe’s Pizza included 30,000 family themed Pizza Box Toppers at 30 locations in Northeast Ohio. Zeppe’s pledged to participate again next year!
c. Thank you to everyone who contributed by displaying yard signs, Marquees, print media, conducting buckle downs, health fairs and so many other Click It or Ticket outreach activities!
i. Click here to report coalition Click It or Ticket activities
d. Buckle U- Promotion signage was displayed at the Wolstein Center at the Cleveland State University campus from May-June. CSU partnered by donating 20 concert tickets and allowing multiple buckle downs to be conducted during high volume events.
i. A special thank you to Cleveland PD for conducting the buckledowns
e. Speedway- 17 buckledowns conducted in 4 counties. Speedway displayed 654 pump stickers on gas pumps in Cuyahoga, Lake, Lorain and Mahoning Counties. Speedway is ecstatic and pledged to participate again!
f. Mr. Chicken- 15,000 Box Stickers were placed on chicken boxes and 3 buckledowns were conducted at Mr. Chicken restaurants.
i. A big thanks to Lake Co. GHD, Brooklyn Hts. PD, Parma PD and Gaby Albert for working these events!
g. Click It FOR a Ticket- We had 997 contest entries overall. 2,500 vouchers were printed and 572 vouchers were actually entered. Clickitforaticket.org received 307 hits (207 click throughs from WTAM). BuckleU.org received 87 clicks. Overall, the first ever Click It FOR a Ticket campaign was successful thanks to everyone who contributed.
4. Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month- A press event took place at Quaker Steak and Lube on May 20th, 2009. Education included riding skills demonstration by local motorcycle officers, information about training classes and shard the road messages.
a. A special Thanks to Pat Greenhill, Ken Gillisse, Dave Pappas, Dennis Derbin, Bill Cerha, Mark Krumheaur, and Brian Dorin.
5. 4th of July OVI Crackdown- Designated Driver, Sober Skipper event took place on July 2nd on The Good Time III. Cuyahoga County DUI Task Force, Cleveland Metroparks Ranger Department, U.S. Coast Guard Ninth District and Ohio Department of Natural Resources joined forces to protect Northeast Ohioans from drunk drivers on land and water.
II. New Business
1. Summer Safety Initiative- Campaign materials are available for your Summer Safety Events
a. Available items include: Rainbow Logo Sunglasses, “Ready to Roll” Bike Stickers, “Hey Mom, Watch Me!” Swim Stickers, “GR8 2B SAFE” logo dog tags, and “My Ride, My Life- Buckle Up” Air Fresheners. If interested, click here to fill out an order form or contact Amy at (216) 983-1162.
b. Summer Incentives can be used along with our Lending Library Activities. Ideas include: Spin Wheel, Jeopardy Game, Fatal Vision Bean Bag Toss, Distract-A-Match, Plinko Game, Safety Tic-Tac-Toe, etc.
i. For more information, a demonstration, or to reserve any Lending Library Materials contact Ken at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Summer Bike Camps-
a. CVC Bike Camp (at Merrick House, Tremont) consists of a four week program serving 40 youth followed by a two week program of advanced camp. The camp is part of the MyCom youth development initiative.
b. Slavic Village Riding Tigers (at Washington Park) in a one week pilot camp hosted by Slavic Village Development and funded by the Cleveland Collectivo.
3. Drunk Driving. Over the Limit. Under Arrest- Campaign will run from August 21st – September 7th, Kicking off with a Ignition Interlock Demonstration Event.
a. OTLUA materials are available for order. Click here to fill out an order form.
4. Annual Safe Kids /Safe Communities Recognition Meeting- You are invited to attend a luncheon honoring the amazing work you are doing to make our community a better, safer place!
a. The luncheon will take place Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at The Silver Grille at the Higbee Building. The event is supported by The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland.
i. Invitations to be sent out later. If you would like to invite a supervisor or community member, forward their contact information to Chrystal Gullet at (216) 983-1108 and they will be added to the invitation list.
a. 7/11 Babies R Us- Aurora 10-2
b. 8/1 Babies R Us- N. Olmsted 10-2
c. 8/22 Babies R Us- Mayfield Hts. 10-2
d. 9/11 I-X Center- Women’s Show 10-2
e. 9/12 Babies R Us- Mentor 10-2
f. 9/26 Babies R Us- Aurora 10-2
6. Child Passenger Safety
a. CPS Technician Renewal Class- A class intended for technicians who have let their certification lapse but have maintained the skills and knowledge
i. Class will take place the week of September 21st and is a one day class with both classroom and outdoor hands-on activities
1. If you have a suitable location that would be available please contact Tom Vilt, (216) 983-1115 or email@example.com
b. CPS Technician Certification Class- A 32 Hour Child Passenger Safety Technician Training August 21, 22, 27 & 29 at the Medina County Health Department. Fill out the CPS Tech Class registration form or contact Tom Vilt, (216) 983-1115 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
i. Cost: $60 for registration and certification through Safe Kids Worldwide payable directly to SKW at the time of on-line registration
1. An additional $85 for class materials is payable to Greater Cleveland Safe Kids
i. Kick off is scheduled for the National “Car Seat Check Saturday” on September 12th at the Babies R Us in mentor
ii. Program Elements for your community
1. Restaurant CPS Placemats
2. Physician Anticipatory Guidance Kits
7. Walk to School Day 2009
a. Wednesday, October 7th, 2009
b. First call for volunteers!
i. Cleveland (4 schools)
ii. East Cleveland (3 schools)
c. Sign up for a toolkit and receive:
i. suggestions for conducting a walk for parents and staff
ii. Coloring contests for K-2nd grade
iii. Pedestrian safety Pledge program for 3rd to 4th grade
iv. Photojournalism Projects for 5th to 6th graders
a. Opened 3 months ago
b. Offers a wide variety of safety products to the community priced below retail
9. Lead Poisoning Prevention Program- Up and Coming Project
a. Targeting areas where children are at most risk (homes built pre- 1978)
b. Testing of children ages 0-2
c. Encouraging lead removal in homes
III. Coalition Business & Reminders
1. Welcome Blythe Kilcoyne and Fred Szabo as new members of the Safe Kids executive board!
2. Safe Kids Fundraisers
a. Safe Kids Charity Shoot
b. Ink Cartridge Recycling
ii. We have a sample letter and e-mail message that you can send to friends and family members inviting them to collect with you
iii. Bring your collection to our meetings or drop them off at our office when you visit
iv. 10th Annual Mocktail party to be held Thursday, December 3rd at Marriott East
3. Member Update- Tracey Stehura gave birth to Kaelyn Alexis on June 11th, 2009. Congratulations Tracey!
4. Poison Prevention- Poison brochures, stickers, and magnets are available for order. Fill out the poison prevention order form or contact Amy with any questions at (216)983-1162.
5. 2009 Bulk Bike Helmet Sales- Bulk orders are still available. If interested, please click here or contact Chrystal at (216) 983-1108 with any questions.
a. $8.00 Purchase Price
b. A minimum purchase of 12 helmets
c. Payment must be received with order
d. Your organization must submit 1 check per bulk order
6. Street Team Update- If you would like the Rainbow Street Team to assist at your next summer coalition event contact Amy at (216) 983- 1162 or email@example.com
7. Activity Reports: We need your activity reports!!! We need them to report our coalition’s activities to our funders, sponsors, partners and community. There are many ways to report your activities:
a. Print the form, complete, and fax to 216-983-1180
b. complete the form and email to Chrystal at firstname.lastname@example.org
c. Submit the report on-line at http://www.injurypreventioncenter.com/safe-kids/activity-reports
It only takes a minute to do and supports our efforts to ask for funding from our partners. We can also use copies of you photos, newspaper articles and any collateral you designed and distributed.