Greater Cleveland Safe Kids/Safe Communities Minutes
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
Thank you to our guest speaker, Nate Peters. He brought the Mentor Fire Department Water Safety Unit for our members to tour. If you would like more information about the Water Safety Unit, please contact the Mentor Firefighters Historical Association at 440.299.0202 or email@example.com.
Welcome to the Rainbow Injury Prevention Center staff member – Alicia Valle! She will be working as our Office Manager and our graphic designer. She has an impressive background in graphic design and we are very excited to have her on our team!
· Poison Prevention Week – Thank you to all that participated during Poison Prevention Week (March 18-24). With your help we made 4,498 contacts, passed out 9,473 pieces of literature and had 31 Poison Poster Contest entries.
· East Cleveland Seat Belt Coalition – at the meeting on March 15 they set dates for the Teen Click It For a Ticket (May 11 at Shaw), Click It or Ticket Kickoff (May 19, Stephanie Tubbs Jones Health Center) and Teen Summit (September 8 at Shaw).
· National Public Health Week – April 2-8. We partnered with Cleveland Department of Public Health and we provided outreach/education on seat belt safety and Click It or Ticket to over 1,000 people.
· Distracted Driving Awareness Month – Thank you to all that got the distracted driving message out last
· Bicycle Safety – fill out the attached order form to receive materials
o Materials available include: helmet incentive program prizes for riders caught wearing helmets for law enforcement; curriculum CD for schools/organization that features lesson plans, activities, worksheets (word scramble, crossword puzzle, helmet design, word search, etc.), parent information, etc.; “Ride to School Week” (May 7-11) kit that includes ideas for different rides to get community involved, worksheets, and additional information; handouts/brochures for parents
o Kick off event – May 5 at Ahuja Medical Center from 9am-1pm. Bicycle helmet giveaway, traumatic brain injury awareness activities, car seat check, motorcycle safety demonstration
o Capstone event – Wild Ride at the Zoo – May 12 from 5:30pm-8:30 pm. Bicycle ride through the zoo, bicycle safety activities, etc.
· Bulk Bike Helmet Sales – order forms are attached.
o A minimum of 12 helmets must be ordered. Payments must be received with order and please submit one check per order. Please allow four weeks for delivery. Sizes include: toddler (male & female), child (male & female), youth (male & female), adult s/m (unisex) and adult m/ (unisex).
Updated order forms available. Bike helmet measuring tapes are also available.
·Prom – Teen Traffic Safety Programming – material order form attached
o Partnering with KISS-FM and Tuxedo Junction to distribute pocket cards. You can use these cards, as well. Ideas for distribution: include with prom ticket, distribute to local dress and floral shops, insert with after prom materials, etc.
o Prom “idea” kits are available. Ideas included are valet dad, posters and materials for restrooms, hiring a driver, etc.
o We also have access to mock crash guides, Vince & Larry costumes and Roll-over Convincer. Contact Chrystal (chrystal.gullett@UHhospitals.org) for availability.
· Click It For A Ticket – Thank you to the schools that are participating.
· Motorcycle Safety Events – We need assistance at multiple events during the summer. Contact Chrystal (chrystal.gullett@UHhospitals.org) to sign up to help.
o Buckle Up for Burgers – May 17 from 10:30 am-1pm at Sonic in Parma and Mayfield Heights – We need assistance. If you are able to help, please contact Chrystal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
o Kickoff – May 19 from 1:00-4:00 pm at Stephanie Tubbs Jones Health Center. We will be having a balloon launch, line dancing, Zumba, health snacks. Appearances by Congresswoman Marcia Fudge and Mayor Gary Norton.
o It’s OK2Nag – Fox 8 and WQAL will launch a person-to-person campaign to get the males in their lives to buckle up. Women encouraged to take a picture of the male(s) in their life buckled up for a chance to win a $500 gift card to Legacy Village and 6 tickets to the Fox 8 Suite to watch a Cleveland Indians game.
o Materials – banners, coasters, posters, social media CD (email blasts, newsletter content, Facebook and Twitter posts). Fill out order form for materials.
· Water Safety – fill out an order form for materials
o Partnering with Litehouse Pools to reach pool owners with pool safety info. Programs will include: bag stuffers, giveaways, speaking at pool opening classes, presence at Rib Burn Off and Facebook promotion.
o Materials that are available include brochures, handouts and stickers.
o If you are interested in being a part of the World’s Largest Swimming Day, please contact Mandy (email@example.com)
· Parade the Circle – contact Mandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in volunteering
o Saturday, June 9 at 11 am – 4 pm. Tent includes summer safety stations. Very interactive and fun!
· Summer Safety – material order form attached
o Summer safety offerings include summer safety activity books, customizable press release CD and reserving summer safety cut-outs
· CBS Free Lunch – contact Chrystal (email@example.com) if you are interested in volunteering
o We have been invited to participate in four CBS free lunches: Wed. 6/13 at Star Plaza; Wed 7/18 at Williard Park; Wed., 8/22 at Williard Park; Wed., 9/12 at Star Plaza
· Hyperthermia – material order form attached
o Hyperthermia materials include handouts and posters.
o If you are involved in a daycare please contact Mandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss potential ideas.
· Safe Kids Social Media – material order form attached
o Safety topics include bicycle safety, boat/water safety, summer safety and hyperthermia.
· Safety Curricula available – material order form attached
o Curricula available include water safety, pedestrian safety, bike safety, playground safety and sports safety.
· Buckle Your Beats
o Encourages seat belt use among minority males ages 14-34.
o Grand prize winner will co-host “The Shut It Down Show” with Latin Assassin and the winning beat will be incorporated in the 9om mix show with DJ Steph Floss.
o Highlights to date: air and mobile Z107.9 radio; Facebook and Twitter posts; library, YMCA and community recreation center; two “record live” sessions; 13 entries so far.
· Keep Your Family Tight
o Grand prize for the photo competitions is a 4-pack of tickets to the Stone Soul Picnic at Jacobs Pavilion on August 25.
o Photo submission is July 9 –July 27; voting is July 30-August 17
· Car Wash Toolkits – order form for materials
o Includes auto floor placemats, auto air fresheners, flyers and car wash buckets
· Be a Booster Booster
o After baseline surveys of booster seat use in communities, we will have direct mail pieces, car pool kits, billboards and physician outreach program.
· Substance Abuse Awareness – order forms available
o Fact sheets and toolkits on prescription drugs/painkillers, designer drugs, hallucinogens, inhalants, over-the-counter drugs and hand sanitizer
· Opiate Summit – May 7- 8 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel and Conference Center (350 North High Street, Columbus OH 43216)
o For more information, go to http://oacbha.org/2012-opiate-summit/
· Seat Belts and Golf – please contact Chrystal (email@example.com) or Nikesha with ideas (firstname.lastname@example.org) month! If you used the materials or conducted an activity, please let us know.
· Activity Reports – available here
o Need reports by 14th of the month for funders.
o Submit reports by:
· Fax: 216.983.1180
· Email: chrystal.gullett@UHhospitals.org
· On-line: www.injurypreventioncenter.com/safe-kids/activity-reports
Thanks to all for attending the meeting!
Thank you to AAA for hosting the meeting and providing a delicious lunch.
See you Tuesday, July 10 at the Cleveland Metroparks Ranger Headquarters – 4600 Valley Parkway, Fairview Park.