Greater Cleveland Safe Kids/Safe Communities
March 7, 2017
Speaker – thanks to Meredith Ondak for coming to talk about Ohio Department of Health Tobacco Grant and the Cuyahoga County Tobacco Collaborative. For more information, please contact Meredith at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Welcome Isaac Markiewitz to the family! Carli and baby Isaac are doing wonderful!
- Mocktail Pictures – please go to http://www.injurypreventioncenter.com/posts/291 to check out pictures from Mocktail
- Super Bowl Outreach – thank you to everyone that took out the coasters and posted safe driving messages on social media.
- 2017 Child Passenger Safety Conference – 169 attendees from across the state. Attendees received 6 CEUs.
- If you attended, please consider filling out survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7Z597WW
- Safety Calendar – contact Mandy (email@example.com) to order
- Topics include daylight savings/smoke alarm batteries, poison prevention week, playground safety, sports safety, brain injury awareness and safe sleep.
- Safe Sleep – toolkit is available at https://www.nichd.nih.gov/sts/news/etoolkit/Pages/default.aspx?utm_source=Safe+to+Sleep%C2%AE&utm_campaign=78c7889c3a-February+STS+eBlast&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_276fcaa911-78c7889c3a-112672889
- Smoke Alarm Battery Reminder – contact Mandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a JPG for social media
- Poison Prevention – contact Mandy (email@example.com) to order materials including phone stickers and posters
- Home Safety – contact Mandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) to order materials
- Materials include handouts and checklists for home safety, medication safety, liquid laundry pod safety, fire safety and carbon monoxide prevention.
- Brain Injury Awareness – contact Mandy (email@example.com) to learn more about the Return To Learn program (concussion team model program with Westlake to kick off soon)
- Concussion materials are also available.
- Sports Safety – contact Mandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) to materials
- Materials include sports safety books, handouts and a curriculum
- Child Abuse Prevention – contact Jennifer (email@example.com) to get on the invitation list for the event on April 4
- Plan to Wear Blue for child abuse prevention awareness on April 12
- Social media copy and calls to action will be sent via emails
- Playground Safety – contact Mandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) to order handouts
- Contact Mandy to learn more about potential playground grants
- Bicycle Safety – contact Mandy (email@example.com) to order materials and learn more
- School Outreach – Bike to School Week (May 8-12) kits will be available. Kits include curriculum, giveaways, ideas for hosting events, etc.
- Community Outreach – limited amount of materials for you to take out. Helmet fitting guides, general bike safety, giveaways and helmet fitting tapes are available.
- If you have an event that you want bike safety materials/activity at, please let Mandy know. We have great activities for you to borrow.
- Bulk Bike Helmets are available. Contact Tom (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit http://www.injurypreventioncenter.com/programs/bike-helmet-sales-bulk-orders to learn more
- Safety Town Toolkits – contact Mandy (email@example.com) to reserve your Safety Town toolkits
- Toolkits for bicycle safety, poison prevention and child passenger are available.
- If you are interested in having someone from Safe Kids come talk at your “parent day” at Safety Town, please let Mandy know.
- Safe Communities – St. Patrick’s Day – contact Rachel (firstname.lastname@example.org) to order materials or if you’re interested in helping with the parade
- Materials include coasters and Lyft codes
- Parade kicks off at 1pm but need to be in line at 12pm. Looking for police officers to walk beside the OVI trailer
- Distracted Driving Awareness Month – contact Rachel (email@example.com) to host an event
- Potential programs include Science of Attention, Your Brain Behind the Wheel, SIDNE and Distracted Driving Observations at high schools
- SIDNE – contact Rachel (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule the SIDNE at your school for the prom/graduation season and summer events
- Safe Communities Facebook – please “like” Cuyahoga County Safety Communities on Facebook (facebook.com/CuyahogaCountySafeCommunities )
- Click It For a Ticket – contact Rachel (email@example.com) to participate
- Looking for a couple more schools to participate. Participation includes pre-event seat belt observations, education/outreach activities, “ticketing” event with treats and post intervention.
- Click It or Ticket Kickoff- contact Rachel (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information
- Looking for high school groups to help decorate rocks for our CIOT kickoff event
- Teen Driving ROADeo – contact Rachel (email@example.com) to learn more about volunteering
- Potential time and location are Tri-C Western on Saturday June 24 from 11a-1p.
- Need help with local vendors including tire companies, car shops, etc.
- Students will register with Eventbrite for $15. At the event, they will receive a $25 gift card.
- Driver Education Scholarship Program – contact Rachel (firstname.lastname@example.org) to help with contacting the schools/driving schools
- Seeking schools in low income areas (including Euclid, East Cleveland, Parma, Lakewood) to help with this program.
- Safe Sitter – contact Mandy (email@example.com) to set up a class
- Volunteer Opportunities – contact Mandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) to volunteer
- Malachi Race – Saturday, March 11 from 8a-11a
- Healthy Kids Running Series – Sundays from April 23-May 21 from 1p-3p at Westlake Recreation Center
- Parade the Circle – Saturday, June 10 at Wade Oval in University Circle
- Shifts include 10:30a-1p and 1p-4:30p
- Employment Opportunity – contact Jennifer (email@example.com) to learn more about the Rainbow Injury Prevention Center summer intern position that is open
- Car Seat Recycling Day – contact Rachel (firstname.lastname@example.org) to come help
- Thursday, March 30 from 8a-2p (come at any time!) at Walton Hills Garage
- Need help tearing apart car seats for recycling
- Safe Kids/Safe Communities meeting magnet – please look for in the mail
Thank you to Euclid Police Department and EHS Culinary Program for hosting the meeting and making and serving us a delicious lunch! Thanks to everyone that came out to the meeting!
See you all at the May Meeting in Brook Park!